Find out what biophilic design is and get 6 ideas to help bring nature into your home.
June 21, 2021
Ever notice the feeling of tranquillity when you are out in nature. Or your change in mood when you are outside.
Biophilia simply means love of nature. Biophilic design uses principles to integrate elements of nature within indoor spaces. Did you know that we spend up to 90% of our lives inside? It makes sense to design our modern build environment with elements of nature.
Studies have shown biophilic design has a direct impact on our wellbeing, reduce stress, enhance creativity and accelerate healing. Studies have also found that homes with biophilic design can bring a 4 to 5% increase in property value.
A biophilic design isn't just about putting a few potted plants in the room. Design principles include elements such as environmental features, vegetation, light and space as well as natural materials, shapes, colours, and patterns.
6 ideas to incorporate biophilic design in your home
- Create a visual connection with nature through the spacious and creative use of windows to exterior landscaped elements.
- Mimic natural environments by producing subtle changes in air temperature, relative humidity, or airflow across the skin. You can do this by using modern ceiling fan design and climate control to create thermal and airflow variability.
- Create visual stimulation and soothing sounds with water features.
- Design conditions like shadows that occur in nature through the use of natural diffused light through high-level windows and skylights.
- Use natural paint colours along with wallpapers with images of plants, animals and natural patterns to symbolise a connection with nature.
- Natural finish material choices can also provide a sensory experience encountered in nature to give a calming effect. Using ‘real’ natural materials over synthetic materials for your surface finish choices can be decorative or functional and are typically processed or extensively altered from their original ‘natural’ state. A finely dressed timber table or granite countertop create a material connection to nature, whilst still providing that creative flare into your modern design
To see some great ideas, check out this article in Sanctuary magazine or get in touch with us to discuss how we can help you incorporate biophilic design into your next building project.